Re: [STUMP] Fullscreen apps not working

From: cothrige
Subject: Re: [STUMP] Fullscreen apps not working
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2008 14:00:55 -0600

> These games are almost certainly using SDL, and SDL's
> 'fullscreen' mode bypasses the WM entirely.

Yes, it would appear that they do mostly seem to be SDL, and these are
the ones that are superimposing the black square over the screen.  One
gl app, lincity-ng, also fails to fullscreen, though sometimes without
the overlapping window and instead with a chopped up appearance.

> BTW, the workaround is to avoid using the game's
> 'fullscreen' mode entirely and just use prefix-F11 to cause
> StumpWM to force the window fullscreen (just as it would do
> to a NET_WM_STATE_FULLSCREEN window.) This only works if the
> window has the SDL_RESIZABLE property set though.

I did try this, but so far none of the apps I have used respond to it.
 The window goes full screen but of course the actual game screen is
just in the corner at normal size.  I suppose that the fullscreen mode
is intended to be used from within the game, rather than via the wm.
Too bad.

Fortunately, I don't play these games a lot, but when I do decide to
do so it is a pain to have to kill my x session and restart it with
fluxbox, and then back again when I am done.   I don't suppose there
is anyway to open a temporary wm as tmpwm did in ratpoison?  That
would at least make things a bit easier.

Thanks a lot for the help and info.

Patrick