summer-of-code

Re: (no subject)

From: Micah Cowan
Subject: Re: (no subject)
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2011 10:24:19 -0700

(03/22/2011 09:28 AM), Nils wrote:
> So when should we start talking with students and advertising?
> We can't do that without knowing if a project gets at least a slot.

That's a bad idea. We don't even get slots until we have students lined
up for them. There is absolutely no reason not to start talking with
students, or advertising. No student should come into the program with
the expectation of a slot.

You shouldn't think of it in terms of, "if GNU doesn't get at least one
slot per project, we might not get a slot". It's not generally about
picking "favorite" projects. We usually rank the best student proposals
(GNU's own priorities of course also factor into the ranking, which in
the end is at the discretion of the org admins). So it's not a matter of
"our project might not get a slot", but of trying to get the students
that do respond, to be committed enough to gain a strong understanding
of what they'll be doing, and to have an idea to contribute (and the
skills to accomplish it) that puts them ahead of the rest.

--
Micah J. Cowan
http://micah.cowan.name/