summer-of-code

Re: [GSoC Mentors] [Announce] GSoC 2012: Mentor Summit Travel and Detail

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: [GSoC Mentors] [Announce] GSoC 2012: Mentor Summit Travel and Details
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2012 15:57:08 +0200

"Jens Elsner" <address@hidden> writes:

> For next year it would be nice to have a clear set of internal
> GNU GSoC rules drawn out before the start of the program, so that all
> sub-projects know how things go. We had a lot of confusion in April and now
> again - this can be avoided.

+1

(This is by no mean a way to blame anyone, I know everyone is good
willing and working hard.)

> By the way - would it be possible to get the Google mentoring money for
> the GNU Radio sub-project to fund a student GSoC student to attend the GNU
> Radio
> conference this September to present his results?

Well, let's take the opportunity to define a solid policy with respect
to such questions.

What has been done with the mentoring money in previous GSoC where GNU
participated?

Is there any plan to do anything with this money?

If not, I see at least these two possibilities:

1. FSF keeps all the mentoring money.

2. FSF donates all or just part of it to the sub-projects, who can then
   decide if they want to mentors/sponsor students for travel or other
   expenses.

What do you think?

--
 Bastien