summer-of-code

Re: [gnu-soc] [gnu-prog-discuss] [VERY URGENT] GNU ideas for GSOC 2020

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: Re: [gnu-soc] [gnu-prog-discuss] [VERY URGENT] GNU ideas for GSOC 2020
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2020 12:02:41 +0100

Hi Jose,

Here are the proposals for my GNU packages (already discussed with my 3
co-maintainers):

GNU libmicrohttpd
=================

  Paragraph: libmicrohttpd is a C library implementing an HTTP 1.x
             Web server. The objective of the project will be to
             make libmicrohttpd's C API easily accessible from
             Python by writing an equivalent nice Python wrapper.
  Skills required: Python, Python C-bindings, basic C knowledge
  Contact address: address@hidden

GNUnet:
=======
  See https://stage.gnunet.org/en/gsoc.html
  Contact address: address@hidden

GNU Taler:
==========

Project #1

- Summary of the project/idea:  Integrating the GNU Taler merchant
backend with business logic via MQTT

- Little paragraph explaining the project/idea:  GNU Taler is a new
electronic online payment system that provides privacy for customers and
income transparency for merchants.  To accept GNU Taler payments,
merchants need to run the GNU Taler merchant backend.  Currently this
component has no notion of inventory tracking and does not integrate
well with the existing business logic or ERP system of a merchant.  The
goal of this project is to implement basic inventory tracking in the GNU
Taler merchant backend component and to design/implement the interface
for integration with existing enterprise backends using the MQTT protocol.

- Skills required:
Good knowledge of C, prior knowledge of MQTT is a plus

- Contact address for interested students:  address@hidden,
address@hidden

Project #2

- Name of the program: GNU Taler / LibEuFin

- Summary of the project/idea:  Web-based graphical user interface for
LibEuFin

- Little paragraph explaining the project/idea:  LibEuFin is a software
package that provides access to (currently mainly European) banking APIs
via a simplified interface.  The goal of this project is to develop a
graphical interface to the functionality that is currently only exposed
via a RESTful HTTP API.  The functionality of the UI should include
setting up access to accounts, querying/displaying the transaction
history of bank accounts and initiating payments.

- Skills required:
Kotlin, Web development, UX/UI design

- Contact address for interested students:  address@hidden,
address@hidden

Project #3

- Name of the program: GNU Taler / LibEuFin

- Summary of the project/idea:  Implementation of an extended core
banking system sandbox for LibEuFin

- Little paragraph explaining the project/idea:  LibEuFin is a software
package that provides access to (currently mainly European) banking APIs
via a simplified interface.  To allow developers to easily test
FinTech-software that accesses banks via LibEuFin, there is a LibEuFin
sandbox component that emulates the functionality of a real banking
backend.  Currently the functionality of this sandbox is quite limited.
The goal of this project is to extend the sandbox with some of the
functionality of a core banking system, such as creating new bank
accounts, storing/processing bank transfers, transaction histories and
processing/providing ISO 20022 messages such as
camt.053/camt.052/pain.001/pain.002.

- Skills required:
Kotlin, Databases

- Contact address for interested students:  address@hidden,
address@hidden

Project #4

- Name of the Program: GNU Taler / Pretix
- Explanation: Pretix is a popular platform to sell event tickets. The
goal is to add a payment backend to Pretix which processes payments via
GNU Taler.

- Skills required: Python, Web programming (REST API)s, Web design

- Contact address: address@hidden

Happy hacking!

Christian