swarm-hackers

Re: [swarm-hackers] Old autoconf build process is broken in current trun

From: Bill Northcott
Subject: Re: [swarm-hackers] Old autoconf build process is broken in current trunk
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2009 14:07:31 +1100

On 26/11/2009, at 12:45 PM, Scott Christley wrote:
> On Nov 25, 2009, at 5:28 PM, Bill Northcott wrote:
>> I think I get the association between Apple's runtime and NSObject,  But as
>> I understood it you have amended the code so that the root SwarmObject with
>> its phasic architecture is built on NSObject and does not grovel in the
>> runtime beyond documented APIs.  What does this have to do with the GUI?
>
> Nothing directly.  It is just there is only a single configure option, it
> picks both Openstep GUI *and* Apple runtime at the same time.  And in the
> code its using one macro for both scenarios, so we need two macros, so we can
> separate.  Because you say your old Mac work is invalidated, then we can just
> jump forward and automatically assume Apple runtime if we are on a Mac OSX
> system.

I think the correct assumption is that an Apple compiler needs the Apple
runtime.  No recent Apple compiler supports the GNU runtime or its Swarm
derivative. The use of an Apple compiler is indicated by the __APPLE__ macro
that I used to fix the NSObect problem.(I will commit this fix)  It is possible
in principle to use an FSF compiler on MacOS and use its GNU runtime or the
modified Swarm one.

See my other message about the --disable-libobjc option.

>>> Can you tell me what other packages I should install.  I essentially just
>>> need the TCL/TK framework for Mac?
>>
>> You need Tcl/Tk and BLT.  PNG, HDF5 are optional frills.  There some issues:
>
> Sounds confusing.  Have you tried the macport of BLT?
> http://blt.darwinports.com/

It is confusing.  I avoid macports and Fink because they tend to install a
whole heap of modified tools and libraries which they elevate to the top of the
search paths.  This ends up with a Fink or MacPorts system rather than a MacOS
one.  I like my code to be self contained.

In any event I would be sure that their BLT port is just the X11 v2.4 which is
simple enough to build.

Bill