swarm-support

Re: Brain protocol

From: glen e. p. ropella
Subject: Re: Brain protocol
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 15:17:57 -0700

> I agree with Paul here, by feel I didn't mean "grope", maybe something
> closer to "sense". Whatever the name, it would be something like
> sensoryInput.

I think I would even back off of this a little further.
You're implying that the sensory systems are actually a part
of the "brain" of an organism.  I would like (and, in fact, am
already) to make a cut between sensory/motor neuronal systems
and the "brain."  I'm not suggesting that we make the division
so fine as to identify cerebral processes from others....[grin]
But, I would like to make the functional distinction between
"thinking" or "processing sensory info" and "sensing" or
"acquiring sensory info."

The "brain" bears the responsibility of "thinking" but it
doesn't bear the responsibility of "sensing."  So, instead
of:

> -(float*) feel: (float*);

I might propose

-(id) think: (id);

And then there would be some other protocol that would
specify the "sense" method.

glen