swarm-swarmfest2006

Re: [Swarmfest2006] Keynote speakers -> use of swarm funds

From: Rick Riolo
Subject: Re: [Swarmfest2006] Keynote speakers -> use of swarm funds
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 12:39:47 -0400 (EDT)

here are a couple of comments about marcu's suggestion:

we (cscs) recently tried to become an google soc of mentor organization,
but they said they had as many orgs as they could handle this year.
but maybe in future years.

or there is an item in there about how a student can try
to name their own mentor organization, because none of the ones
that exist are quite right. (its in the faq somewhere).
so we could try that.

as it turns out, an ex-student here at UM (Ed Baskerville)
would like to do something with Swarm or something related
to ABM tools.  (He has contributed to the swarm lists in the
past---he is a big mac os x user.)
he is going to try that student-requests-specific-new-mentor
approach to do some project htis summer, probably making
a kind of drone-like sim runner that uses modern stuff like
grid computing to distribute jobs.

i don't know anything about the approaches marcus mentions below.
building a new simulator sounds like more than a one summer project, tho.
so it might take coming up with a plan that breaks
the task up into summer-doable chunks.

- r

Rick Riolo                           address@hidden
Center for the Study of Complex Systems (CSCS)
4477 Randall Lab
University of Michigan         Ann Arbor MI 48109-1120
Phone: 734 763 3323                  Fax: 734 763 9267
http://cscs.umich.edu/~rlr