[Swftools-common] swfc: .ttf charmap handling?

From: lm
Subject: [Swftools-common] swfc: .ttf charmap handling?
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2004 21:16:25 +0200 (CEST)

hello,

i played around w. swftool a bit, and found it very cool!

i have a question though:

a friend of mine told me .ttf fonts have different sorts of keymaps
(cmaps) embedded, and i really found a way to view them using fonttools
or ftinfo.

e.g.

$# ftinfo -a BeSnDi__.ttf|grep charmap

returns

$#BeSnDi__.ttf: 0: 0 charmap: Macintosh, Roman
$#BeSnDi__.ttf: 0: 1 charmap: Microsoft, Unicode

some other .ttf fonts return e.g.

$#DexGothicEF.ttf: 0: 0 charmap: Apple, Unicode defaut semantics
$#DexGothicEF.ttf: 0: 1 charmap: Macintosh, Roman

another one:

$#ElGPlBd_.ttf: 0: 0 charmap: Apple, Unicode 2.0 semantics
$#ttf_orig_fonts/ElGPlBd_.ttf: 0: 1 charmap: Macintosh, Roman
$#ttf_orig_fonts/ElGPlBd_.ttf: 0: 2 charmap: Microsoft, Unicode

so theres my question: which type of these different charmaps
is used in the embedded font used in an swf generated w. swfc?

do swfc or font2swf require fonts w. specific types of charsets for
conversion?

i have problems with german special characters in some of the swfs
created, and i thought the charset-matter might be a reason. true?

help very appreciated!

lola

http://fals.ch