Re: [Swftools-common] Re: swfc: font encoding?

From: Matthias Kramm
Subject: Re: [Swftools-common] Re: swfc: font encoding?
Date: Sat, 7 Aug 2004 16:11:28 +0200

On Thu, Aug 05, 2004 at 02:27:32PM +0200, Leonhard Minutillo wrote:
> thanks for your answer.. but what  i thought of was not the encoding
> of the text displayed, but how swfc handles the encoding of the .TTF font
> itself, when converting a .ttf font so an swf font.. what does it need as
> an input?  Adobe's original, ISO-Latin1, Symbol?

swfc works only with Unicode, and relies on Freetype to convert the font
encoding to Unicode.
I.e., a ".font" object is only mapping chars to unicode and name (and vice
versa), but not to any other specific encoding.

I'll probably add encoding markers to the swffont output soon, so that
one can study the char->unicode mapping more easily (swffont uses the
same font code as swfc).