Re: [Swftools-common] Patch for pdf2swf (CID codemap file options)

From: Matthias Kramm
Subject: Re: [Swftools-common] Patch for pdf2swf (CID codemap file options)
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 17:12:11 +0200

On Sun, Oct 24, 2004 at 04:27:51AM +0900, Moriyoshi Koizumi wrote:
> Things didn't go exactly the way I said :) To resummerise my idea, it
> should be like the following:
>
> - Suppose each "language pack" is installed in a separate directory in
>   /usr/local/swftools/encodings, with the directory named its language
>   name for example (e.g. /usr/local/swftools/encodings/japanese/).
>
> - On startup, xpdf2swf seeks per-directory configuration files
>   that are named by a certain rule in the subdirectories of
>   /usr/local/swftools/encodings. For instance, if there are two
>   directories in /usr/local/swftools/encodings,
>
>     /usr/local/swftools/encodings/japanese
>     and
>     /usr/local/swftools/encodings/chinese-simplified
>
>   then
>
>     /usr/local/swftools/encodings/japanese/xpdf2swfrc
>     and
>     /usr/local/swftools/encodings/chinese-simplified/xpdf2swfrc
>
>   will be looked up in this scheme.
>
> - they will all be concatenated and parsed at end of the startup
>   phase, whose settings are possibly overridden by the command
>   line parameters.

Ok, I now started implementing something similar to this.

pdf2swf now understands the "-s languagedir=" option. You can point
to any (extracted) language pack, and pdf2swf will fetch the file
add-to-xpdfrc out of the directory, and parse it (adding any
encoding/unicode files to the global parameters).
So e.g.

    tar -zxvf xpdf-japanese.tar.gz        # creates xpdf-japanese directory
    pdf2swf -s languagedir=xpdf-japanese file.pdf

can be used to convert a japanese pdf.

Moriyoshi, could you test with one of your files whether (in the current
CVS version) this actually works? Thanks!

We can then start implementing the autodetection inside the
/usr/local/swftools/languages/
by making pdf2swf.c scan that directory for subdirectories on startup.