[Swftools-common] Re: Regarding progress on the debian package...

From: Simo Kauppi
Subject: [Swftools-common] Re: Regarding progress on the debian package...
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2006 18:22:27 +0300

On Fri, Jun 16, 2006 at 02:15:11AM -0500, Kevin Veroneau wrote:
> Simo Kauppi,
>
>   Hello all again, sorry I haven't been very active on this mailinglist for a
> little while now.
>
>     Upon chatting in Xchat on FreeNode in #debian, I was talking about
> swftools and debian. I've read the report on it at this URL:
> http://bugs.debian.org/187275
>
>     Is there a chance that Matthias could possibly give a small hand in this
> matter. The report speaks about LAME and it's legal issues in Debian.
>
>     What I would suggest then, is instead of adding swftools into the offical
> debian pool, why not add it to the swftools.org website as a pre-compiled
> binary package, with the approval of Matthias of course.
>
>     Also if anyone wishes to supply binary packages, I will host these
> packages on my webserver. Thus people visiting swftools.org that wish to use
> this wonderful application, even though they wish not to compile it. The
> binary package form will at least be available.
>
>     The biggest issue that I've seen on this mailinglist so far, are mainly
> compilation problems and questions.
>
>     If Matthias could get back to me on this, and whoever else is willing to
> create a binary package for their distribution of choice(including Windows
> and MacOS X), I will glady host their packages on my server, unless Matthias
> wants to host it there. But mirroring will be a plus.
>
>     Thanks.
>
> Message sent to:
>  * SWFTOOLS MailingList
>  * Simo Kauppi
>

> Thanks,
>     Kevin Veroneau
>     "I live in total freedom, I live in a world without Gates and Windows.
> How about you?"
>     address@hidden
>     http://www.kevinveroneau.com/

Hi Kevin,

Sorry I haven't got back to you sooner :(

I've been working on getting the swftools as official package to Debian.

The LAME issue is not that big of a problem as swftools compiles fine
without it. The only drawback is that wav2swf and avi2swf cannot be
used.

So far I've created the package which is suitable for the official
Debian distribution, but it has not been uploaded yet.

I've also created an unofficial package which needs LAME to work.

Both can be found at
deb http://www.mediasitomo.com/debian-swftools/ unofficial main

The version is still 0.7.0 as the 0.8.0 has not been released yet.

The amd64 version has some issues as well, because swftools is not
64-bit compatible yet.

Simo