Re: [Swftools-common] Retrieving object data from PDF to update swf cont

From: Matthias Kramm
Subject: Re: [Swftools-common] Retrieving object data from PDF to update swf content
Date: Sun, 9 Dec 2007 13:12:40 +0100

On Mon, Nov 26, 2007 at 01:13:12PM +0100, jan bahnsen wrote:
> the idea is now, to exctract the information of the coordinates of
> this box if the PDF, to e.g. overlay this area in the converted swf
> with a white box, covering the content of this area.
>
> once a user has registered to see the whole contents, this white box
> shall then be removed dynamically from the swf.
>
> any idea how this could be tackled?

Well, the easiest way so far to mark areas in SWF has been to make
them "clickable", i.e. create a (e.g. HTTP-) link of the area size.
The resulting rectangles can then easily be detected in the final
SWF. (Even with swfdump, using the -u and -s options, but I'd recommend
writing a specialized C program or python script)

Another option would be to use rectangles of a specific color, but
you would have to be sure that color will never appear "as such"
in your PDFs. (in theory, this should be possible- you have 16,777,216
choices, after all)