Re: [Swftools-common] highlight links (not on hover)

From: Matthias Kramm
Subject: Re: [Swftools-common] highlight links (not on hover)
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 12:23:35 +0100

On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 05:38:14PM +0700, Joachim Larsen <address@hidden> wrote:
> I stumbled over this thread while trying to solve a problem for a client,
> basically they were using ajaxdocumentviewer.com which was rubbish, turns
> out they use pdf2swf and wrap some DRM stuff around it, and charge 4k usd
> for a viewer which can't handle streaming.

I didn't know about ajaxdocumentviewer.com. Interesting.
(But weird how Flash is sold as an Ajax technology)

> My client is building an online repository for hosting rare free ebooks,
> some are available from the gutenberg project but many are not english
> language books. This is especially meant for people in poorer regions where
> access to print books is unavailable or prohibitively expensive. He has a
> database and pdf versions of over 50,000 titles some of which are rendered
> to pdf files over 100mb in size. Using th pdf2swf with no switches renders
> this to a 300mb swf file.

I can imagine. However, using the "-s poly2bitmap" and "-j 25" switches
should reduce the file size.

> Streaming capabilities are a must.
>
> I have 0 flash experience but not opposed to getting my hands a bit dirty.
> What can I do to get this functionality?

Right now, rfxview and fdview (the only two free viewers I know
about) can't handle streaming. There are several commercial viewers that
can, however- e.g. see the various viewers at
    http://www.swftools.org/references.html
.