Re: [Swftools-common] PDF alternative

From: Chris Pugh
Subject: Re: [Swftools-common] PDF alternative
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2010 07:41:42 +0100

On 22 April 2010 03:03, Yousif Masoud <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 10:39 AM, Chris Pugh <address@hidden>
> wrote:
>>
>> Anyone use this?
>>
>>   http://www.djvu.org/
>>
>> A lot of people do, and in many ways, it's far more efficient and
>> accessible  than Adobe's PDF,   Maybe this should become
> integrated into the SWFTools project in some way?
>>
>> Just one for the ( future ) smelting pot.
>>
>> Regards,
>>

>> Chris.
>>

> Hi Chris,
> It's possible to convert the djvu to pdf then convert that to swf :)

Ahh, so you are a let's go round more corners than we need to
just for the fun of it, man, are you?  Now why exactly, would I
want to convert a djvu file to a PDF?

> Use djvu2pdf (toward the middle of http://djvu.org/links/)

Hmm..

> More efficient, yes.  More accessible, in what way?

To quote the DjvLibre site:

'DjVu can advantageously replace PDF, PS, TIFF, JPEG, and
GIF for distributing scanned documents, digital documents, or
high-resolution pictures. DjVu content downloads faster, displays
and renders faster, looks nicer on a screen, and consume less
client resources than competing formats. DjVu images display
instantly and can be smoothly zoomed and panned with no
lengthy re-rendering.'

So I repeat again, why would I wish to convert to a PDF?

I was thinking more of a djvu2swf ( while SWF is still a dominant
force )

Regards,

Chris.