Re: [Swftools-common] Why would pdf2swf not be compiling?

From: Chris
Subject: Re: [Swftools-common] Why would pdf2swf not be compiling?
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 16:55:55 +0100

[I've copied you in Chris. Please see email re Subscribing ]

On Tue, 24 Aug 2010 23:54:19 -0600
Chris Shattuck <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I'm new to this mailing list, and not a very skillful command line user, so
> forgive me if this is mis-posted or the question is too basic.
>
> When I compile swftools for linux, I don't see any pdf2swf files. The make
> process appears to go smoothly, but from there I don't see pdf2swf when I
> grep for a file.
>
> Any thoughts on what I might be doing wrong would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks!
> Chris

'Make', simply puts the various executables into the ../src
folder of whichever directory you unpacked the distribution
into, and compiled from.

'Make install' then places those same executables into a system
bin folder.  You delegate the prefix.  For example, say you downloaded
swftools-2010-08-14-1108.tar.gz to a folder named
/downloads.  The command sequence would be as below:

cd /downloads

wget http://www.swftools.org/swftools-2010-08-14-1108.tar.gz

tar zxvf swftools-2010-08-14-1108.tar.gz

cd swftools-2010-08-1108

./compile --prefix=/usr/local

make

If this command completes successfully, you'll find the executables in,

    /downloads/swftools-2010-08-1108/src

Doing,

make install

places those same execuatbles into the system bin directory,

/usr/local/bin/

( '/usr/local/' is the prefix from the configure command above ).

Should you use something like (s)locate for your system
searching, then remember that folder and file lists are
not updated automatically.  You have to issue the command
'updatedb' first.

HTH.

Regards,

Chris.