Re: [Swftools-common] pdf2swf - different size swf on different platform

From: Pablo Rodríguez
Subject: Re: [Swftools-common] pdf2swf - different size swf on different platforms
Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2012 17:28:45 +0200

On 08/06/12 17:08, Matt Sergeant wrote:
> I've been trying to debug why an 80KB PDF generates a 500KB SWF file.
>
> If I run pdf2swf on a Linux box that's the size I get.
>
> If I run it on a Mac I get a SWF file slightly smaller than the PDF.
>
> I thought maybe this was a font issue so I copied all my fonts from the
> Mac to the Linux box (after converting from .dfont files), and still got
> the same results.
>
> Any ideas why I get such a big difference? Shall I put the output from
> the conversions with verbose on somewhere for people to look at?

Hi Matt,

I'm afraid that the Linux binary might not use compression for the
output PDF. I experienced that before with swfc (not sure with pdf2swf
[I can't remember it]). Which Linux distribution are you using? Did you
installed it from a repository or by yourself? Which swftools version
are you using?

A font issue would be not likely since I guess that pdf2swf converts the
fonts which are embedded on the pdf document (not 100% sure about this).

Since wine is able to use the Windows version of swftools, you have an
easy way to check whether pdf2swf for Windows gives the same size results.

Hope it helps,

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk