Re: [Swftools-common] on the mailing list itself

From: Pablo Rodríguez
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2013 21:21:40 +0100

On 11/14/2013 10:13 PM, Lists wrote:
> [...]
> I had noticed you used Thunderbird from the header,

>  rv:24.0) Gecko/20100101 Thunderbird/24.1.
>
>> Thunderbird gives me an option to reply to list, but if I simply
>> reply, reply goes to the original sender.
>
> https://wiki.mozilla.org/Thunderbird:Help_Documentation:Mail-Followup-To_and_Mail-Reply-To
>
> may help you in this respect ( possibly combined with a separate identity)

Thanks for searching for this. I have found it also, but I’m afraid that
the features mentioned at
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Thunderbird:Help_Documentation:Mail-Followup-To_and_Mail-Reply-To#Configure_Thunderbird
aren’t available in Thunderbird 24.1.

> As I said, with Claws Mail ( Linux or Windows ), hitting Reply gives the
> List address.  In other words it is aware of what the reply to address
> should be.

But Claws Mail isn’t strictly right there. Replies should be addressed
to the sender (specified either in the "From:" or the "Reply-to:" fields).

I agree that I wouldn’t complain if Thunderbird would do the same, but
simply because I would had worked around the issue.

>> And although I tend to forget to select replying to list, replying to
>> the “From:” field is the right thing to do.
>
> Normally yes, but in this instance it is the LIST Server that copies you the
> message. The original sender ( who posts to the list server ), is not
> posting to you personally.  Right?

I agree, but this would be a reason to set a proper reply-to field.

Many thanks for your help,

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk