synaptic-devel

[Synaptic-devel] gsynaptic & synaptic sudden shutdown

From: Richard
Subject: [Synaptic-devel] gsynaptic & synaptic sudden shutdown
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 15:27:08 -0500

Am using SuSE 8.0, apt 0.5.4, and gsynaptic 0.21-3cl.  The interface is very
nice but has a couple of un-nice things happening.
1. At the end of an upgrade attempt sometimes synaptic will shutdown without
warning.  It usually happens when the upgrade is unsuccessful, but has
happened after a successful upgrade.   I can not discern any pattern to the
shutdowns. The shutdown occurrs with both synaptic and gsynaptic.

2.  When an upgrade is unsuccessful the only error message is a rather
cryptic:
Sub process /bin/rpm returned an error code (244)
the error code has been a 2, 14, and 16.
If I run the command line: apt-get upgrade, after the failure I can see the
reason for the failures.  That data should be displayed by synaptic so you
can figure out what to do. Error codes are nice but only if you can translate
them into meaningful words.

I have some suggestions concerning some cosmetic changes that would make the
GUI easier to be understood.  Since most people will not wait for the popup
to tell them what the various buttons are for, I would:

a) Rename the Update button to something like  Get Update List or Load Update
List.   What it actually does is retrieve the available update list, right?
To the unwashed Update means just that and is confusing especially with
Upgrade next to it.
b) Rename Upgrade button to something like, Select All to Upgrade, or Select
All for Upgrading since it is only selecting those installed apps to be
upgraded.

As I understand it, the GUI is intended to make the use of an application easy
and intuitive and lessen errots.  While these two changes are minor, cosmetic
changes, they can make life a lot easier for the user and reduce questions to
the developer.

Having said all that, I want you to know that I really appreciate this version
of synaptic.  It has made the use of apt much nicer.
Thank you
ra