synaptic-devel

Re: [Synaptic-devel] Fwd: Re: gsynaptic & synaptic sudden shutdown

From: Michael Vogt
Subject: Re: [Synaptic-devel] Fwd: Re: gsynaptic & synaptic sudden shutdown
Date: 20 Sep 2002 00:20:20 +0200

On Thu, Sep 19, 2002 at 12:39:41PM -0500, Richard wrote:
> This is part of a thread started in a suse mailing list. FYI.

Thanks for this forward. And fell free to forward my reply to the
appropriate mailinglist :)

> Subject: Re: [SLE] Re: synaptic error messages
> Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 12:21:13 -0500
> From: Richard <address@hidden>
> To: address@hidden
>
> On Thursday 19 September 2002 5:11 am, Joe & Sesil Morris (NTM) wrote:
> > Just to warn you, I started off with gsynaptic.  It has (YMMV) a bad
> > memory leak somewhere (I believe in the scroll bar on the download
> > screen).  I downloaded several packages last night, came back, and had
> > almost no memory left free (384M Ram), and had used up about 500M of
> > swap.  I uninstalled it, and downloaded and installed synaptic (wings
> > version).  It worked much better, but it still closes after an update,
> > or a package upgrade.  Still works well, just an anoyance. ;-)

In general using gsynaptic is a good idea, as out current development
is focused on gsynaptic. We keep synaptic alive, but all the new stuff
is happening inside gsynaptic. As it's quite new, there are some
problem, though :)

Thanks for reporting this memory leak. I suspected a memory leak in
this part of the code, but wasn't sure. This report help me to get on
the right track. I hope I fixed it now. The fix is in our CVS and will
be part of the upcoming 0.24 release (expected in about two/three
weeks, but if you want to help and you feel adventurous you may want
to try the CVS version from:
http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/synaptic).

> BTW, the developers are very responsive to suggestions/queries and
> > are trying  to solve the shutdown problem.   They are also working on the
> > error message
> thing, too. Will probably be a couple of weeks before they have it isolated
> and fixed, they said.  So if we can be patient, we will see some progress.

We are working on these ones as well.

bye,
 Michael

--
GPG Fingerprint = EA71 B296 4597 4D8B 343E  821E 9624 83E1 5662 C734
You Know You've Been Playing Too Much Nethack When...