synaptic-devel

Re: [Synaptic-devel] (kind of) release of 0.30

From: Michael Vogt
Subject: Re: [Synaptic-devel] (kind of) release of 0.30
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2002 14:05:02 +0100

On Mon, Dec 30, 2002 at 06:31:19PM +0800, Anthony Fok wrote:
> Hello Michael,
Hi Anthony,

> Thank you very much for your new synaptic-0.30, especially with new gtk2
> interface and all!  Very impressive!  :-)

Thanks :) Nice that you like it.

[..]
> Yes, it compiles, and it works on an RPM system.  Here we are using Thiz
> Linux Desktop (based on Red Hat 8.x).  There are some caveats, though not
> all are RPM-related.
>
>  1. The first set of attachments are Chinese PO/MO messages that I have been
>     maintaining on and off since Synaptic 0.16.  I have not updated
>     everything for synaptic 0.30 yet, but hey, let's get them in first.  :-)

Thanks, great! They will be part of the next release.

>  2. Non-English interfaces like zh_TW (zh_TW.Big5) and even fr_FR
>     (fr_FR.ISO-8859-1) weren't showing properly, and pango complains that it
>     is fed non-UTF-8 text strings.  Setting LANG=fr_FR.UTF-8 instead of
>     fr_FR seems to do the trick.  So, I took a look at metacity's source
>     code, and added a line in gsynaptic.cc to set bind_textdomain_codeset to
>     "UTF-8".  Problems solved.  Please see patch.  :-)
>     (Note that I am no expert in Gtk2 or gettext programming, so if I miss
>     anything, please revise.  :-)

Applied. Thanks. I was biten by this one too, but hadn't had the time
to investiagte it further. Great that you found the solution :)

>  3. Some translatable strings in synaptic.glade (e.g. "Action", "_Help")
>     aren't in synaptic.pot.  Not sure why.

This is already fixed in my local version. I just forgot to include
the synaptic.glade.strings in the POTFILES file.

>  4. This one may or may not be RPM-specific.  When the APT database is
>     incomplete (for example, if I run "Update List" when the repository has
>     a temporarily corrupted Package.bz2), synaptic would correctly show a
>     warning, and then crash.  IIRC, synaptic used to be able to stay running
>     so that the user has a chance to click "Update List" again to fix the
>     problem.  Meanwhile, I had to manually run "apt-get update" to fix the
>     problem.

Hm, this bug was reported by Sviatoslav Sviridov too I think (or is
this a different problem?).
My problem is, that I not able to reproduce it here :/
I did the following:

#rm /var/lib/apt/lists/marillat.free.fr_dists_unstable_main_binary-i386_Packages
#synaptic

then I get a dialog box with the warning:
"Couldn't stat source package list http://marillat.free.fr
unstable/main Packages
(/var/lib/apt/lists/marillat.free.fr_dists_unstable_main_binary-i386_Packages)
- stat (2 No such file or directory)"

But synaptic keeps working (no segfault after this point). Can you
please provide me a backtrace of the crash? Or did I just somethink
that doesn't trigger the bug?

> That's all for now.  Many thanks!  :-)

Thanks for your feedback and the patches!

bye,
 Michael

--
"Computers are not intelligent.  They only think they are."
        -- Martin Schulze