synaptic-devel

Re: [Synaptic-devel] 0.44pre4 strange state

From: Michael Vogt
Subject: Re: [Synaptic-devel] 0.44pre4 strange state
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 16:29:00 +0200

On Sun, Sep 21, 2003 at 03:50:49PM -0700, Kim Kulak wrote:
> Hello Michael and everyone else,
Hi Kim,

> I've managed to get synaptic into a strange state where it won't install
> or remove any packages. This is using synaptic built from the 0.44pre4
> tarball on a mixed Debian stable/unstable.

That's bad. Let's try to solve this one.

> I followed these steps:
> 1 - Update list.
> 2 - Upgrade all. Check what was to be upgraded and marked a few packages
> to be kept. Something I do all the time.
> 3 - Proceed. Synaptic then:
> 3.1 - Downloaded the needed packages.
> 3.2 -  Opened the "Perforing changes" terminal window:
> 3.2.1 - There was a question about updating smb.conf file. Samba was one
> of the packages being updated. I chose the default option of "No".
> 3.2.2 - Immediately went to "Update finished - you can close the window
> now".

When did you do the update/upgrade? What version of samba is involved?
I'll first try to reproduce this problem on my machine.

> Now whenever I try to update, install, or remove a package synaptic
> doesn't do it. When I click the Proceed button it opens the "Performing
> Changes" window and immediately displays "Update finished - you can
> close the window now".
>
> I tried aptitude and dselect and they still work. They are such a bother
> to use after synaptic that I will wait and get synaptic working again
> before I do my update!
>

> To look for error messages I went into "Preferences", and turned off
> "Use terminal window when running the package manager". Then ran
> synaptic from a terminal window. In this state when I clicked "Proceed"
> synaptic opened the "Performing Changes" window and crashed with a
> Segmentation fault.

Uhhhh ... that's even worse. Can you please do a backtrace of the
crash? Start synaptic inside gdb:
# gdb synaptic
type "run"
and after the crash type
"where"

Please send me the output.

> Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help track down these
> problems. I need my synaptic back ;-)

And I want to fix this problem :) What version of apt do you use?

> Kim
Michael