synaptic-devel

Re: [Synaptic-devel] Status Icons

From: Richard Bos
Subject: Re: [Synaptic-devel] Status Icons
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 09:50:04 +0100

Op dinsdag 25 november 2003 22:16, schreef Sebastian Heinlein:
> > > Cheers, Jean-Michel
>
> I made new icons with green edged squares and also a demo gimp file in
> which you can see the different icons with different gtk themes.
>
> But the ftp of my provider is down so I can only host the file on my
> local home server.

Sebastian,

I think that the color in the background of icons is redundant.  It's e.g.
just not possible to remove or downgrade a package if it is not installed.
I would therefor suggest to do not use the green color.  To show that a
package is installed (for the installed icon) use a green "V" (check mark or
how is it called).

Perhaps that the arrow for upgrade should not be moving from left to top, but
just from bottom to top.  The same can be said about downgrade than to make
it consistent.  The direction could be from top to bottom.

About the remove icon (red cross), I think it is clear.  On the other hand if
you would only use arrows and assume that the left side of the box is the
entrance, an arrow from right to left would show that the package move out of
the box.  It is the exact opposite of install which goes from left to right.

That are my ideas.
--
Richard Bos
Without a home the journey is endless