synaptic-devel

Re: [Synaptic-devel] Few issues

From: Michael Vogt
Subject: Re: [Synaptic-devel] Few issues
Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2003 10:58:34 +0100

Hi Jean-Michael,

sorry for my late reply.

On Thu, Dec 04, 2003 at 09:43:09PM +0100, Jean-Michel POURE wrote:
> Thanks a lot for releasing .deb packages for the latest Synaptic. I played
> around and discovered a few issues.

Thanks for working with it and finding and reporting bugs :)

> 1) When clicking on a package, the following messages displays in the bottom
> panel:
>
> Installed: Version : XXXX
> Latest version : version : YYYY
>
> These strings cannot be easily translated into French. In English,
> "Installed"
> can be singular or plural. Here, it is singular ("installé"). The problem is
> that "Installed" is used again in Synaptics with a plural meaning
> ("Installés").
>
> IMHO, it would be better to write:
> Installed -> "Installed package"
> Latest version -> "Latest available"

I'm discussing this with Sebastian and it looks like the problem is,
that we loose alignments here if we go for a combined string. But now
we are aware of the problem and we are trying to find a solution that
both handles the alignment and make the translation easier.

> 2) State    "Installed package" is not aligned with other labels.

This is a limitation of the current icons. Once we have enough good
looking and easy to distinguish icons there will always be a icon that
displays the status and the alignmed is will be ok.

> 3) Display menu
> If you choose "by State" and choose another display menu, "by State" remains.

Thanks, fixed in the repository.

thanks,
 Michael