synaptic-devel

Re: [Synaptic-devel] synaptic bug?

From: Michael Vogt
Subject: Re: [Synaptic-devel] synaptic bug?
Date: Thu, 25 Dec 2003 01:00:16 +0100

On Wed, Dec 24, 2003 at 01:24:58PM +0100, Richard Bos wrote:
> Is this a bug in synaptic or a compile problem, does anyone know?

We had a similar problem about 1-2 weeks ago. It turned out that the
binary interface of apt-0.5.15cnc1 and 0.5.15cnc4 are not entirely
compatible. This might have caused the problem. IIRC all our
precompiled rpm packages are compiled against 0.5.15cnc1 (Sebastian is
the one who knows for sure :).

So if Jerome is using a different version, this might have caused the
problem. There are two ways to solve the problem. One is to go back to
apt-0.5.15cnc1 and the other is recompiling synaptic against the
installed apt.

It is just a guess that Jeromes problem is the same (but it looks like
it is). If he can recompile 0.47 and the problem persists, I would be
very happy to get a gdb backtrace from him.

Do you know what version of apt and what system he is using? And if he
is using a rpm or did compiled synaptic himself?

thanks and happy Xmas :)
 Michael