synaptic-devel

Re: [Synaptic-devel] Language file minor issues

From: Sebastian Heinlein
Subject: Re: [Synaptic-devel] Language file minor issues
Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2003 23:08:30 +0100

Am Sa, den 27.12.2003 schrieb Jean-Michel POURE um 14:34:
> Dear all,

Hello Jean-Michel,

> 1) There are still HTML tags embedded in the language file. This may (?)
> cause
> bugs and should be avoided whenever possible.
>
> Example:
> span>
> settings</span>
> Copyright (c) 2002,2003 Michael Vogt</span>
> <b>Package:</b>
> <b>Section:</b>
> <b>Priority:</b>
> <b>Maintainer:</b>
> <b>Status:</b>
> <b>Tags:</b>
> <b>Latest:</b>
> <b>Installed:</b>
> <b>Install</b>
> <b>Available Versions</b>
> <b>Package Control</b>
> <b>Details</b>

Thanks for pointing at this issue. But it seems to be a question of time
and effort. And time is always rare, especially in Michael's case and he
is the coding guy :)

> 2) Two stings are duplicates
>
> <b>Warning:</b> This can render your package manager unusable.\n
> Changes override the version selected by the package manager
>
> <b>Warning:</b> This can render your package\n
> manager unusable. Changes override the version selected by the package
> manager.

The line break doesn't always work perfectly. This workaround is needed
in the vpaned.

> By the way, I would prefer "this action can render your package manager
> unusable". Strings with undefined words like "this, that, it, them, they" can
> be dificult to translate into several languages (you never know if it is
> feminin, masculin etc...).

The translators do not have to do a strict translation. This goal is an
understandable interface.

Furthermore 'this' is no action.

> 3) What is exactly the "priority" tag? There seems to be at least two values:
> "standard" and "optional". Does "Priority" mean "Order" or "Importance"?

There is also the value "important". From Debian's "New Maintainer
Guide":

"Line 3 describes how important it is that the user installs this
package. See the Policy manual for guidance on what to set this field
to. The "optional" priority will usually work for new packages."

(line 3 is the one with the priority value in the source control file)

Regards,

Sebastian