synaptic-devel

[Synaptic-devel] New UI

From: Sebastian Heinlein
Subject: [Synaptic-devel] New UI
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 18:33:13 +0200

Dear list members,

first of all the work on the new user interface progresses well. I feel
very sorry but this also means a lot of additional work for the
translators.

We have decided to emphasize the mark-package-and-then-apply-
marked-changes-way of handling synaptic through the whole interface. So
the package actions now include a "mark for" prefix e.g. "Install" gets
"Mark for Installation" and "Remove Including Configuration" gets "Mark
for Complete Removal". For reasons of consistency I reworded some
messages to fit into this schema.

Another issue is a better upgrade dialog. I think that the level of
abstraction is still to high: the user doesn't directly choose the
action. At the moment you always have to think: "What is a smart
upgrade? What is the default upgrade method?". So I tried to reduce the
level of abstraction in this new dialog proposal:

http://pimpzkru.dyndns.org/~renate/upgrade.jpg

Here is the current one:
http://pimpzkru.dyndns.org/~renate/old-upgrade.jpg

What do you think about this? I would be very happy to get some feedback
and comments.

Regards,

Sebastian