synaptic-devel

Re: [Synaptic-devel] Problems with "unmark"

From: Michael Vogt
Subject: Re: [Synaptic-devel] Problems with "unmark"
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 08:09:09 +0200

On Tue, Aug 17, 2004 at 01:57:47PM -0700, Anna Petersen wrote:
> I am trying to use the "unmark" option in synaptic. I want a package
> that is currently marked for upgrade to be unmarked. However, this
> option does not seem to do anything. Is this broken in the newest release?

It happens sometimes that a package is marked "install" and if you try
to unmark it is marked "install" again. This is because a package may
be a dependency of an other package that is marked install. So if you
set the dependency to "not install", the dependant is "broken" and the
problem resolver decides to mark the package to "install" again.

Those cases should be rare. If it happens ofter too you, please tell
me what distribution you use and with what packages it happens. I'll
have a look then.

You can solve this problem with "Edit/Unmark all" (a bit drastic
though) or by selecting both dependency and dependant and choose
"unmark" when both are selected.

I hope this helps, if you have any more problems/suggestions, please
let us know!

Cheers,
 Michael

--
The first rule of holes is: when you find yourself in one, stop digging. - PJ