synaptic-devel

Re: [Synaptic-devel] Usability and other bugs in SVN (upcoming 0.55) ver

From: Sebastian Heinlein
Subject: Re: [Synaptic-devel] Usability and other bugs in SVN (upcoming 0.55) version
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2004 20:08:23 +0100

Am Freitag, den 29.10.2004, 01:12 +0300 schrieb AKL. Mantas Kriauciunas:

Hi Mantas,

thanks for your interest in the development of synaptic and for sharing
your detailed and productive ideas.

> I'm working as desktop linux consultant for home and business desktop users.
> I've noticed, that word 'package' isn't understable for most of simple users,
> so I think we should avoid this word where it's possible. Also I think,
> that word "Reload" isn't "the best" in this situation, because usually
> reload does nothing important, like in web browser, majority of people
> never use Reload function in sofware, look for simillar oppinion at this
> email -
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/synaptic-devel/2004-10/msg00017.html
> I agree with Steve Salazar and think, that "Update information" or maybe
> "Renew information" would be better, than Reload (in button label and in
> dialogs). For example we can use "list of available software" instead of
> "package list" or maybe "sofware repositories", because synaptic already
> uses word repositories instead of lists (look at Settings->Repositories)
> and "update" instead of "reload" :

> I think "from the servers" shouldn't be used, because repositories can
> be not only on the servers, but also on local computers, cdroms, etc.
> Btw, at first you suggested to use shorter message, like this:

> Maybe this form is more clear for simple people ? (I'm suggesting
> replace word "lists" with "repositories", like in previous example and
> to do a small pool in synaptic mailing list :)

I have already addressed the mentioned dialogs. Could you please take a
look at version +0.55 and share your opinion.

> Also I've found several other bugs in 0.55 SVN version:
>
> 1. Some .glade (and it seems also .png) files are missing in Makefile.am
> files in gtk and pixmaps directories. Ex. there are no
> dialog_update_outdated.glade and because of this synaptic crashes when
> I'm trying to start after installing.

This is fixed.

> 2. synaptic 0.55 doesn't install recommended packages by default when
> doing "Smart upgrade" (In Preferenced checkbox "Consider recommended
> packages as dependancies" is enabled). Also there is no possibility
> to see the recommended and suggested packages for all marked packages at
> once (for example after choosing "default upgrade"), similar as apt-get
> install lists recommended and suggested packages.
> Maybe it's possible to create some filter, which displays Recommended
> and another for Suggested packages (for packages, which are Queued) ?

We want to rework the whole "mark all upgrades" dialog. So input on this
would be nice.

> 4. Lithuanian translation of menu (.desktop) file. It would be nice if
> you add these lines:
> Name[lt]=Programinės įrangos tvarkymas (Synaptic)
> GenericName[lt]=Paketų menedžeris
> Comment[lt]=Įrankis programinės įrangos tvarkymui
> (įdiegimui/atnaujinimui/ištrynimui)

The .desktop file is created at build time from the .po files. It would
be nice if you could start a Lithuanian translation :)

> Btw, don't forget, that after installing menu file should be in
> /usr/share/applications

This is the folder for KDE applications. Does synaptic appear in the KDE
menus at all (my desktop is GNOME only)?

Regards,

Sebastian