synaptic-devel

[Synaptic-devel] Search features and help for searching

From: Vesa Paatero
Subject: [Synaptic-devel] Search features and help for searching
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2011 00:14:23 +0200

Dear Synaptic developers,

At first I was going to give feedback that an advanced searching feature by pattern or regexp would be good... but then, after making some tests, I noticed that there already exists some good functionality but those possibilities are not presented to users.

I think the most important type of "advanced search" is searching with two words. Like, if you are searching for desktop publishing software, you might try "layout AND publish". It seems that the "AND" word is not needed--yet in the Quick Search, it seems that the words must be in the same order as in the results. Another type of advanced search that may be needed is a fixed string longer than one word, such as "layout manager". It seems that this type of search is not currently supported.

The most practical way of documenting the search facility I can think of would be to provide some quick-help button for searching that is located close to the search button. It could be a small pop-up that lists the principal search approaches with a single example of each.

(Those help pages may work handily in some systems if the help system supports searching properly. In my Gnome-based system, however, help searches are directed to all possible help pages, not only Synaptic's help pages, which significantly lowers the percentage of relevant hits.)

Thanks for considering this feedback.

Best Regards,
Vesa