synaptic-devel

[Synaptic-devel] Why would searches suddenly be slow?

From: Alan Corey
Subject: [Synaptic-devel] Why would searches suddenly be slow?
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2018 08:12:54 -0400

I just got a Rock64 running, settled on Armbian for the time being.
That involves 4 repositories, maybe more than I'm used to.  There are
51,934 packages.

When I do a search it's most of 20 minutes.  When I start it from a
command line I don't see any messages.  I've got one running right
now.  I'm doing a tail -f on /var/log/messages, not seeing anything.
Synaptic's using 100% CPU on 1 core:

 PID USER      PR  NI    VIRT    RES    SHR S  %CPU %MEM     TIME+ COMMAND
6605 root      20   0  399680 130920  67372 R 100.0  3.3   3:40.06 synaptic
copying a line from Top.

On a Raspberry Pi a search takes maybe under a minute.  The Rock64 is
about 3 times as fast, at least at mining.  This is the version with 4
GB of RAM.  Doing a search in Synaptic it's maybe 20 times slower than
a Pi.

Synaptic's being such a hog there are issues with windows not getting
repainted, that seems pretty severe.  Maybe it's a screwy build from
Armbian and I should build from source.  This is version 0.84.2,
copyright 2012.

  Alan Corey

--
No, I won't  call it "climate change", do you have a "reality problem"? - AB1JX