sysvinit-devel

New versions of SysV init and insserv

From: Jesse Smith
Subject: New versions of SysV init and insserv
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2021 14:13:23 -0400

I am pleased to report there are now two new releases in the SysV init
family. The first is SysV init 2.99 which is a minor update. The new
version updates manual pages and source code with spelling fixes
provided by  Helge Kreutzmann and Jens Schleusener of FOSSIES
(fossies.org). There is no functional change to SysV init, just better
documentation and easier to read code comments.

The insserv change is more functionally important. The insserv 1.23.0
update addresses the way insserv checks LSB script headers to determine
start and stop runlevels. It also makes sure we only check the LSB
headers for the start/stop information. This addresses bug #971713 in
the Debian bug tracker.

Both new releases can be downloaded from the Savannah mirror:
http://download.savannah.nongnu.org/releases/sysvinit/

Issues with SysV init, insserv, and startpar can be reported to the bug
tracker: https://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?group=sysvinit

- Jesse