tetum-translators

[Tetum-translators] Fw: [Freedict-beta] A Tetum-English dictionary

From: Peter Gossner
Subject: [Tetum-translators] Fw: [Freedict-beta] A Tetum-English dictionary
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2003 10:29:04 +1030

Just keeping everybody in the loop:

Forwarded message:

Date: 19 Dec 2003 17:41:58 +0100
From: Horst Eyermann <address@hidden>
To: address@hidden
Cc: address@hidden
Subject: Re: [Freedict-beta] A Tetum-English dictionary

Hello Peter,

first of all thank you for the interest.

Am Die, 2003-12-16 um 17.52 schrieb Peter Gossner:
> Hi List
> My first post .. apologies if I state the obvious.

Anything you didn't see wasn't obvious enough :) No, honestly, you did
lots of research, and you have very good questions.

> I have built a tetum-english dictd format set that works fine on my
> own server.. and should have the english-tetum version done in a few
> days.

What is tetum?? - My dictionaries did not help me here.

> I was wondering if you would consider such a thing  for inclusion on
> your CVS servers.. It will be hosted at savannah (once I can get CVS
> access back:(

If it is a language, yes, sure. (When available under GPL)

> I note you are using a dtd from TEI on your CVS tree .. I have
> downloaded the dtd's and have got the basic set installed (though I'm
> still not too sure about the catalogue setup yet -- sort of works)
>
> Do you have any examples / templates/ hints / guides or a HOWTO take
> the files to the standard you require.. If not should I consider
> writing one as I go along :)

No, I tried to make up a guide once, but gave up. So yes, please do so.
A guide for others would be most welcome.
I use the TEI (chapter 12) for reference (subset, no superentries,...).
For examples see the other dictionaries.

> The most important thing would be an example of the latest prologue ..
> And the phonetics approach you are taking..

Well, I think Michael (Bunk) is the only one really using the prologue.
I did not really maintain it.
I do have some ideas on that, including introductory sections, which
give information about the project, and things such as phonetics used.

> I was also contemplating a schema , or a DTD at least of our own which
> may be useful ? (given that it could be parsed and converted to the
> TEI dictionary dtd..)

Well, I am not sure. I just use the TEI DTD, and actively use a subset
of it.

> However my priority at the moment is to get a working set out to use
> for the rest of the tetum project.

Good luck, and thanks for you work

Horst

> http://www.gnu.org/software/tetum/

Mesage Composed: Fri Dec 19 23:58:55 UTC 2003
Calendar events:
Dec 20  4th Quarter Day - Winter Solstice
Dec 20  US buys ~1,000,000 sq. miles of Louisiana for ~$20/sq.mi.
Dec 21  Yule (Norse for "wheel") - Germanic 12-day feast
Dec 21  Frank Zappa is born in Baltimore, 1940
Dec 21  Phileas Fogg completes his trip around the world in less than 80 days
Dec 21  Women gain the right to vote in South Australia, 1894
Dec 21  Women gain the right to hold political office in South Australia, 1894

< http://www.gnu.org/software/tetum/ >
< http://bigbutton.com.au/~gossner >
< address@hidden >