tetum-translators

[Tetum-translators] Hullo Ricardo (tetum project)

From: Peter Gossner
Subject: [Tetum-translators] Hullo Ricardo (tetum project)
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2004 04:04:34 +0930

Hi There Ricardo,
The Tetum List got your mail and I am about to pass it through to the
list proper.
<quote>
Helo,

 I saw your web page and would like to know more about your project. I
live in Dili and could establish contact with you. I am a UNV working
here.
 Get back to me to continue conversation ASAP

 Ricardo Sousa
</quote>

Essentially the project exists to provide a path for translation of open
Source Computer interfaces / programs for Tetum speakers...

We (I) also have developed some some resources, e.g. a list for GNU
Aspel (a very very good spell checker) .

Another function for the project is as a contact point for tetum
language (vaguely computer) related stuff e.g. A corpus of the language
is being built (well has been built) using automated tools in Boston.
(This is used to build the Aspell dictionary )

I have pretty much been doing this alone and have got myself side
tracked writing stuff for a translating dictionary, we have one of those
for tetum as well :)

My next objectives are to update and release a new version of both the
spell checker and the translating dictionary and then to go on start
doing particular applications...

Pretty much anything tetum that relates to computers and is Open Source
is doable... It all takes time.

(some Open Source stuff can also be used on Windows (Mozilla
mozilla-Firebird Aspell for e.g) but as we can't see / read the source
for most other windows apps we can't work on them. )
One last thing I actually don't speak Tetum (well beyond bondia) so I
get nervous about defining the usage of Timor Leste's language on
Computers :)

Peter

--
Fortune Cookie:
You have an ability to sense and know higher truth.

< http://www.gnu.org/software/tetum/ >
< http://bigbutton.com.au/~gossner >
< address@hidden >