Re: <h1> vs. <h2>

From: Patrice Dumas
Subject: Re: <h1> vs. <h2>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2011 23:18:50 +0200

On Sun, Oct 09, 2011 at 09:58:14PM +0000, Karl Berry wrote:
>     while h5 is smaller than text
>
> Still?  I thought current browsers had fixed that stupidity left over
> from the early days.  No one would want a header smaller than the
> text size, completely illogical.

At least in firefox (iceweasel) 3.5.16.

>       MAX_HEADER_LEVEL
>     which would determine the highest level.
>
> I like that idea.  I think it's the right way to go, and it should be 4
> by default, because in practice no one wants headers smaller than text.

Agreed.

>       HEADER_LEVEL_MODIFIER
>     to modify the level prior from outputting the h?.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by "modify".  A conf variable to explicitly
> specify the top-level <h> value seems like the simplest thing to
> understand to me (maybe we already have it?).

Ok.

> And I think it should be
> 2 by default, since most manuals are relatively small, and because that
> is existing practice.

Maybe 2 in the default case and 1 when in texi2html mode.

> Big manuals like Texinfo and Emacs could set it to 1 if they wish,
> although I suspect in practice they won't care.  (I don't recall anyone
> ever writing the list saying "how to make my chapter headers use
> <h1>"...)

Well, in my opinion it is especially in the case of split by chapter
manuals that it looks better, and since makeinfo couldn't do that...

Anyway 2 as the default lowest level is fine by me.

--
Pat