Re: texi2dvi call with --Xopt

From: Patrice Dumas
Subject: Re: texi2dvi call with --Xopt
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2012 23:40:14 +0100

On Wed, Jan 04, 2012 at 11:09:16AM -0800, Karl Berry wrote:
> Hi Patrice,
>
> Running
> makeinfo --dvi --debug=5 --Xopt -E line.tex
>
> yields this:
> texi2dvi|--dvi|--debug|1|-E
>
> 1) The "1" is spurious.
>
> 2) the line.tex has been lost.  Evidently the -E was parsed by makeinfo
> (requiring an arg) instead of just being the inert option to --Xopt and
> passed to texi2dvi (where it takes no arg).

Woops... Fixed, thanks.

> (I was trying this because I rediscovered that what texi2dvi -E does is
> call makeinfo -E to get the final input to give to TeX.  Thus the
> #line's are eradicated that way after all.  I haven't tried @include
> stuff yet.)

As a side note, if -E is passed to texi2any (with a file argument) together
with --pdf/--dvi/... a -E gets also added to the texi2dvi call (but without
file argument).  I am not convinced that it makes complete sense.  In any
case, if you only want to pass -E to texi2dvi, you should indeed use --Xopt -E
as you do.

--
Pat