Re: @ref on sectioning command lines

From: Patrice Dumas
Subject: Re: @ref on sectioning command lines
Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2012 15:13:07 +0100

On Fri, Mar 02, 2012 at 05:27:42PM -0800, Karl Berry wrote:
>     @section Changes in @ref{SubModule}
>
> I also don't see any specific reason not to allow this.
> Especially if it already works in texinfo.tex :).

I have tested on a more straining example, and even though texinfo.tex mostly
works, it doesn't work perfectly.

I attach the test file I used.

There are some error messages

l.9: Undefined cross reference `-snt'. l.9: Undefined cross reference `-snt'.
l.9: Undefined cross reference `-pg'.)
[-1{/var/lib/texmf/fonts/map/pdftex/updmap/pdftex.map}]
(./ref_in_sectioning.toc) (./ref_in_sectioning.toc)
(for example @ref {node}) Chapter 1 [1] Chapter 2 [2]
l.33: Undefined cross reference `-snt'.
l.33: Undefined cross reference `-snt'. l.33: Undefined cross reference `-pg'.
[3] )pdfTeX warning (dest): name{} has been referenced but does not exist,
replaced by a fixed one

When I open in xpdf there is a kind of navigation on the left.  What's here
is not exactly optimal, but good enough in my opinion, except with @inforef.
@inforef also leads to something wrong in table of contents, since there
appears:
  See Info file `\ignorespaces c', node `\ignorespaces a'.

There is also some trouble with (@pxref{,,, file name}), but it seems to
be unrelated to being on a sectioning command line, as even in the
test the output seems wrong to me.

So, everything seems to work fine, except for @inforef, but I think it can be
fixed, and there is a bug for @pxref{,,, file name} which is certainly
unrelated.  So I think that we can consider that construct ok?

In HTML it leads to nested <a> in table of contents, which is not valid.
But I don't think we should bother about that.

--
Pat