Re: user defined macro as @table argument

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: user defined macro as @table argument
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2012 22:51:46 GMT

Hi Patrice,

     @macro keyword{kw}
     @table @keyword

Vincent should use m4 :).

As you say, doesn't work in TeX.  No, such things don't work "in
general".  (Almost nothing about @macros works "in general" in TeX.)  I
suppose it would be possible to make it work, but like you with
texi2any, it would be ugly and I don't want to bother.

The only thing I would say that might be helpful is if texi2any could
notice if the @table argument is in fact defined as a macro and give an
error (not just a warning) at that point.  If it's straightforward to
do, would make things a lot clearer for the user than doing the
expansion.  But I guess maybe the macro expansion has already happened
before the code for @table is even being executed, so it wouldn't be so
easy?

I'll see about giving the error in TeX and saying something about this
in the documentation, in any case.

Thanks,