Re: texinfo-4.13.90 pre-pre-test

From: Stefano Lattarini
Subject: Re: texinfo-4.13.90 pre-pre-test
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2012 21:31:59 +0100

Hi Karl.

On 11/09/2012 07:14 PM, Karl Berry wrote:
> If anyone here (especially you, Patrice :) has a chance to look ...
> I've temporarily put a tarball for the pretest at:
> http://freefriends.org/~karl/texinfo-4.13.90.xz

Typo here, BTW: s/.xz$/.tar.xz/

Also, I notice Texinfo is still using the old, much inferior serial testsuite
harness provided by Automake.  I'd really advise you to switch to the parallel
harness instead, by passing the 'parallel-tests' option to AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE
(this harness will be the default starting from automake 1.13).

> If no stoppers are immediately obvious, I'll put it on alpha.gnu.org and
> announce it more widely tomorrow.  I'll be offline most of the rest of
> today.
>
> I tested configure && make check && make install on CentOS 5&6,
> but nothing else.

NetBSD 5.1
==========

  The build hangs using /usr/bin/make:

    $ make
    gcc  -g -O2   -o infokey infokey.o key.o ../gnulib/lib/libgnu.a
    Making all in po
    Making all in po_document
    Making all in tp
    Making all in .
    sed  -e 's,address@hidden@],4.13.90,g' ... ./ >texi2any
    chmod a+x texi2any
    ../build-aux/install-sh -c -d maintain
    sed -e 's|address@hidden@]|/home/slattarini/tmp/texinfo-4.13.90|' \
      > maintain/catalog.xml
    [HANGS HERE]

  The problem disappears using GNU make though, so no big deal.

  As for the tests, one failure in 'install-info/tests':

    FAIL: ii-0053-test

  And spurious failures in tp/tests, due to an unportable use of mktemp:

    $ cd tp/tests && make check
    Making check in .
    make  check-TESTS
    mktemp: unknown option -- p
    Usage: mktemp [-dqu] {-t prefix | template ...}
    formatting: fail
    mktemp: unknown option -- p
    Usage: mktemp [-dqu] {-t prefix | template ...}
    htmlxref: fail
    mktemp: unknown option -- p
    Usage: mktemp [-dqu] {-t prefix | template ...}
    htmlxref-only_mono: fail
    mktemp: unknown option -- p
    Usage: mktemp [-dqu] {-t prefix | template ...}
    htmlxref-only_split: fail
    FAIL: parser_base_tests
    Skipping long tests that take a lot of time to run
    SKIP: long_tests.sh
    Skipping HTML TeX tests that are not easily reproducible
    SKIP: tex_html_tests.sh
    ====================================
    1 of 1 test failed
    (2 tests were not run)
    Please report to address@hidden
    ====================================

Solaris 10
==========

  Build succeeds.

  At "make check" time, there are some warnings due to the use of the
  unportable '-i' sed option in 'tp/tests/many_input_files/tex_l2h.sh'
  and 'tp/tests/run_parser_all.sh'.

  Also, one test fails in 'tp/tests':

    gmake[3]: Leaving directory `/scratch/latta/tmp/texinfo-4.13.90/tp/tests'
    Making check in many_input_files
    gmake[3]: Entering directory
`/scratch/latta/tmp/texinfo-4.13.90/tp/tests/many_input_files'
    gmake  check-TESTS
    gmake[4]: Entering directory
`/scratch/latta/tmp/texinfo-4.13.90/tp/tests/many_input_files'
    D: diffs/indices.diff
    D: diffs/index_split.diff
    FAIL: indices.sh
    Skipping HTML TeX tests that are not easily reproducible
    SKIP: tex_l2h.sh
    Skipping HTML TeX tests that are not easily reproducible
    SKIP: tex_t4ht.sh

Fedora 16
=========

  Builds ok: and runs the testsuite correctly:

  $ ./configure && make -j12

  One failure in the testsuite though:

  $ make check -j12 ALL_TESTS=yes
  make[4]: Entering directory `/home/slattarini/tmp/texinfo-4.13.90/tp/tests'
  formatting: ok
  htmlxref: ok
  htmlxref-only_mono: ok
  htmlxref-only_split: ok
  PASS: parser_base_tests
  sectioning: ok
  no res(info): texi_formatting
  no res(info): formatting
  no res(info): formatting_utf8_enable_encoding
  no res(info): formatting_fr
  coverage: ok
  indices: ok
  nested_formats: ok
  contents: ok
  D: layout/diffs/formatting_singular.diff
  layout: fail
  FAIL: long_tests.sh
  Skipping HTML TeX tests that are not easily reproducible
  SKIP: tex_html_tests.sh
  1 of 2 tests failed
  (1 test was not run)
  Please report to address@hidden