Re: a few itching msgids

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: a few itching msgids
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2012 01:51:34 GMT

      "Error on closing renamed cross references description file %s: %s"

How about:
"Error on closing node-renaming configuration file %s: %s"

    nodes, as explained in the node 'HTML Xref Link Preservation'.

I think there's a way to put a note to the translators as a comment
before the message.  Could be useful to say "see HTML Xref Link
Preservation in the Texinfo manual for context".

    "Error on closing renamed node redirection file %s: %s"
Fine.

    "Old name for %s is a node of the document"
Fine.

    > msgid "Node to be renamed as, `%s' not found"
    > Maybe the comma should not be there?
    Indeed, I thought it was more correct with a comma...

No comma, for sure.  Also, "as" should probably be something else, maybe
"to".  It also seems like it would be useful to give the other side of
the redirection:
"Node to be renamed from `%s' to `%s' not found"

But that's probably wrong ... how does this message happen?
Can you easily show me an instantiated example?

    "@%s `%s' output more than once"

So in the example you gave, it would result in:
@anchor `License 1' output more than once
?

Ok, but I think it would be clearer for the translators to write it as:
"@%s output more than once: %s"

    > msgid "@node precedes @%s, but part are not associated with nodes"
    > Part are?
    It is a sectioning command

Yep, but Benno is saying that "part are" is a singular/plural mismatch.
How about:
"@node precedes @%s, but parts may not be associated with nodes"

    > msgid "Unknown from index `%s' in @%s"
    > msgid "Unknown to index name `%s' in @%s"

Here I think hyphens will avoid translators taking the "from" and "to" as
normal prepositions (which looks incomprehensible):
"Unknown from-index in @%s: %s"
"Unknown to-index in @%s: %s"

Or we could use different words:
"Unknown source index in @%s: %s"
"Unknown destination index in @%s: %s"

Either way.

    "tex4ht output file %s is missing"

"tex4ht output file missing: %s"

(In general, when it's reasonable, I think it's better to use a colon
and put %s's at the end than to embed the %s in the middle of the text.
It's both more translatable and makes the varying text more apparent to
the user.)

    "tex4ht processing produced %d items in HTML for %d items found in the
document"

We should say that the mismatch is what's wrong.
"tex4ht processing produced %d items in HTML; expected %d, the number of items
found in the document"

Verbose, but I can't see a good way to chop it down.  Not like people
will encounter it every day anyway.

    "tex4ht no processed HTML item found for address@hidden %s"

Something's not right in the English there.  How about:
"tex4ht output has no HTML item for address@hidden %s"

Thanks,
karl