Re: [5452] info/pseudotty.c

From: Gavin Smith
Subject: Re: [5452] info/pseudotty.c
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2014 22:19:34 +0100

On Wed, Apr 16, 2014 at 10:02 PM, Karl Berry <address@hidden> wrote:
>     +#define _GNU_SOURCE
>
>     2014-04-16  Gavin Smith  <address@hidden>
>
>         * info/pseudotty.c: #define _GNU_SOURCE to get getpt and
>         ptsname declarations from <stdlib.h>.
>
> I am a bit doubtful that defining _GNU_SOURCE is going to be portable.
> But I know we #define it in system.h, so I suppose it works out for
> other reasons on, say, BSD?

The code here creates a pseudoterminal following the example in the
glibc manual. Some of these functions are marked as GNU extensions.
ptsname isn't, but seems to require a definition like _GNU_SOURCE.
(The ptsname man page I have installed says to #define _XOPEN_SOURCE -
presumably this would be more portable.) Hopefully there is some
portable way to create a pseudoterminal.