Re: [bug #43406] @deffn inserts unwanted whitespace

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: [bug #43406] @deffn inserts unwanted whitespace
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2014 22:50:59 GMT

Regarding Werner's reply on
      <http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?43406>

      (a) not backwards compatible,

True enough.

      (b) not reflecting what `texinfo.tex' is currently doing, and

True but not a big argument.

      (c) non-intuitive: For me, a `word' in this context is something
      delimited

Also true enough.  Although I always thought of deffn arguments as being
brace-delimited when they included @-commands or spaces or other
"special" things, what the manual actual says does imply that spaces are
really the key thing.  The "may be necessary" if the argument contains
commands was really intended more for texinfo.tex, as I recall.  I don't
think there is any simple rule as to when braces are really required for
texinfo.tex and when they are not.

The question is, how hard would it be to change texi2any to do basically
space-delimited, and just brace-delimited when braces are present,
instead of always requiring braces when any command is used?

Thanks,
Karl