Re: Current trunk fails to build on MS-Windows

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: Current trunk fails to build on MS-Windows
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2015 23:05:45 GMT

    arnold> I would expect that the texinfo tarball would include texindex.awk

Yes, it will.  (Not implemented yet, but it has always been my plan, as
we've discussed.)

    eliz> Either texindex.awk should be in the repository as well,

Could be done.  It didn't seem necessary to me, given that gawk 4.0 was
released several years ago, but I don't have strong feelings about it.
What is in or out of the repository is a judgement call.

    or the configure should test for a recent Gawk, perhaps only when
    texindex.awk does not already exist in the tree.

No.  Too complicated and error-prone, for little benefit, seems to me.

    People who build out
    of the repository should know what they are up against.

With just about every package, building out of the repository has
stronger requirements on the environment than building from releases,
and most of those requirements are not tested for by configure.
Certainly that's always been the case for building from Texinfo's source
repo (recent autotools, gettext, etc.).

    Except that any modification will bust us.  This is still Free
    Software, right?

Well, Eli, it will bust *you*, because you insist on using Windows.  As
far as I can see, it's not our job to fix your self-inflicted problem.
(I imagine the rename could be done by hand.)