Re: html dir links, table summary

From: Gavin Smith
Subject: Re: html dir links, table summary
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2015 18:16:00 +0000

On Sun, Jan 4, 2015 at 1:32 PM, Kurt Hornik <address@hidden> wrote:
>>     Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2014 11:14:19 +0100
>>     From: Kurt Hornik <address@hidden>
>>     To: address@hidden (Karl Berry)
>>     Subject: Texinfo to HTML conversion problems
>
>>     [...]
>>     I recently tried the effect of running linkchecker on our R-project and
>>     CRAN web pages, which as you know contain HTML versions of the R manuals
>>     obtained from their texinfo sources.
>
>>     This complains about invalid dir.html links in the top menus, which by
>>     default contain something like

>>     Next: <a href="#Preamble" accesskey="n" rel="next">Preamble</a>,
>> Previous: <a href="dir.html#Top" accesskey="p" rel="prev">(dir)</a>, Up: <a
>> href="dir.html#Top" accesskey="u" rel="up">(dir)</a> &nbsp; </p>
>
>>     Now in Texinfo 5.2 I can set the configuration variable TOP_NODE_UP_URL
>>     to empty to get rid of the "Up" hyperlink: but this still leaves the
>>     "Previous" hyperlink in, and I found no way to programmatically get rid
>>     of this one.  Is there a way?
>
>> Not that I know of.  I think it would be best if the TOP_NODE_UP_URL
>> value (or some new configuration variable) replaced all occurrences of
>> (dir).  It doesn't make sense to me otherwise.

I just tried generating HTML output with the current development
version of makeinfo and didn't get a "Prev" link on the Top file
(index.html), only an "Up" link. Maybe something has changed in the
sources since the last release, or maybe there is something different
about the file you were using.

However, I noticed another problem: according to the Texinfo manual,
"HTML Customization Variables" node:

'TOP_NODE_UP_URL'
     For HTML.  The url used for the Up pointer of the Top node; default
     'undef', meaning no link is generated.

This implies by default, there shouldn't be an Up pointer either.