Re: DTD version confusion

From: Patrice Dumas
Subject: Re: DTD version confusion
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 2015 10:59:20 +0200

On Mon, Apr 06, 2015 at 12:04:46AM +0000, Karl Berry wrote:
> Continuing on this list from a month ago on bug-texinfo ...
>
> > Yes, TEXINFO_DTD_VERSION [in configure.ac] should have been set to 5.2.
>
> Nowadays, I'm thinking we could use TEXINFO_DTD_VERSION=5.2+dev for
> development and pretests, and use the svn repo for the url in the DOCTYPE:
> <!DOCTYPE texinfo PUBLIC "-//GNU//DTD TexinfoML V5.2+dev//EN"
> "http://svn.savannah.gnu.org/viewvc/*checkout*/trunk/util/texinfo.dtd?root=texinfo";>

First a side remark.  With that url the catalog.xml automatically
generated from tp/maintain/catalog.xml.in that may be used to point to
the in-source dtd will no longer be correct, as it contains

  <rewriteSystem
systemIdStartString="http://www.gnu.org/software/texinfo/dtd/5.0/";
rewritePrefix="file:///home/dumas/src/texinfo/util/" />

but this could be changed with prefer="public" in the catalog element
and the use of

  <public publicId="-//GNU//DTD TexinfoML address@hidden@//EN"
            uri=""file://@abs_top_srcdir@/util/texinfo.dtd"/>

Now the main point.  Another possibility for the pretests would be to
use TEXINFO_DTD_VERSION=6.0 and put the dtd on the final location even
if it is not the same that will be in the release, and reupload the dtd
for each pretest, at the same location.

When there is a pretest, the release number is known, but before the
pretest it is not.  So maybe your scheme could be used before the
pretest.

The procedure could be the following, with P the current version number
and N the next version number, only known when doing a pretest or the
actual release:

* after the release TEXINFO_DTD_VERSION=P until the dtd changes
* if a change happens before a pretest, set TEXINFO_DTD_VERSION=P+dev
  and the uri to

"http://svn.savannah.gnu.org/viewvc/*checkout*/trunk/util/texinfo.dtd?root=texinfo";
* when the pretest (or the next version) comes, N is known and if there
  are differences in dtd, TEXINFO_DTD_VERSION=N and the dtd is uploaded
  for each pretest and for the release at the final location.

--
Pat