Using Perl's cc

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Using Perl's cc
Date: Fri, 03 Jul 2015 15:30:52 +0300

Could you, or someone else, please explain how this will be used in a
build of a future Texinfo, assuming you are talking to Perl
non-experts?  I have no experience in building Perl extensions.

I'm afraid this might mean serious complications for the MinGW port of
Texinfo, for at least 2 reasons:

  . the Perl build used while building Texinfo in general is different
    from the one that will be used when the built Texinfo is installed
    (and thus the C compiler will be different)

  . the C compiler used to build Perl might not be installed on the
    machine where Texinfo is being built, since none of the builds of
    Perl involved in the Texinfo build are MinGW builds

So if the design is based on the assumption that the same compiler
used to build Perl is available when building Texinfo, this would
complicate things on Windows to a great extent.

(I can describe these issues in detail, if needed, but I thought to
request an overview first, in case my fears are based on lack of
knowledge, and the problem doesn't actually exist.)

TIA