Re: Using Perl's cc

From: Gavin Smith
Subject: Re: Using Perl's cc
Date: Sat, 11 Jul 2015 15:23:15 +0100

On 11 July 2015 at 14:10, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
> Below is the patch I have come up with.  It still lacks a fully
> functional wcwidth implementation.  Let me know if you think it's OK
> to commit these changes in their current form, or factor out the
> Windows specific code in some way.

Yes, fine to commit.

> I can successfully compile the code, but linking it into a shared
> library fails, see below.
>
> Explanation of variables set on the Make command line:
>
>   . PERL_INC needs to point to the native Perl's include directory;
>     hopefully this will eventually done by configure

configure already sets PERL_INC. What did configure set it to? Do you
have multiple installations of Perl on your system, and is the right
one being used by the configure script/fetch_conf.pl?

>   . -no-undefined -- without this flag, libtool will not build shared
>     libraries on Windows, because building a shared library on Windows
>     cannot leave any unresolved references

Shouldn't libtool provide this flag automatically?

>   . -lperl520 and the corresponding -L switch need to be given to
>     provide the import library for building the shared library, with
>     symbols that tell the linker how to find functions defined by Perl
>     itself that the XS extension calls; without that library I have
>     tons of undefined references

Is there any way of detecting these flag automatically? For example,
on my system the configuration values for Perl are in a file
/usr/lib/perl5/Config_heavy.pl. If you have a file like that on your
system, you could look to see if "-lperl520" is given anywhere.

> The issue with vasprintf is clear (how do I solve it?)

Some Gnulib thing. I need to research how to integrate a subdirectory
with its own configure script into Gnulib.