Re: [6465] small fixes for XSParagraph

From: Gavin Smith
Subject: Re: [6465] small fixes for XSParagraph
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2015 01:24:44 +0100

On 27 July 2015 at 00:21, Karl Berry <address@hidden> wrote:
>     +# Clear any flags set by configure at the top level, because the
>     +# compiler used in this subdirectory might be different.
>     +CFLAGS =
>
> That doesn't seem right.  CFLAGS is supposed to be explicitly reserved
> for users in the GNU world, and presumably those flags should still be
> passed.  (Or a different user-reserved variable, maybe, since it's
> possibly a different compiler.)

I was aware that this didn't match the GNU Coding Standards for
Makefiles; however, I figured that these didn't fit when there were
multiple compilers being (possibly) used in a single project. A
different variable is probably what is needed, maybe "PERLCFLAGS" or
"XSCFLAGS" or "EXTENSIONCFLAGS".

> To eradicate all configure-determined flags, I think several
> other variables would have to be reset, since the basic compile command
> looks like:
> COMPILE = $(CC) $(DEFS) $(DEFAULT_INCLUDES) $(INCLUDES) $(AM_CPPFLAGS) \
>         $(CPPFLAGS) $(AM_CFLAGS) $(CFLAGS)
>
> But one would hope that there is a way to do this that does not involve
> embedding such knowledge of how automake implements compilation ... -k

It's not as bad as that; it's only the user variables that are likely
to be set on a configure run that need to be overridden, and these
should be documented. I cleared CFLAGS after configuring with
"./configure CFLAGS=-Wall" at the top-level, which broke when the
compiler in the XSParagraph subdirectory didn't recognize the -Wall
option. In this case it wasn't "configure-determined", that is not
automatically determined, but user-provided.