Re: [Texmacs-dev] Re: texmacs on SGI

From: Ralf Treinen
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Re: texmacs on SGI
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2002 20:58:02 +0200

On Tue, Jun 04, 2002 at 08:38:16PM +0200, Joris van der Hoeven wrote:

> So how do yoy do the test? Not having the file ice-9/boot-9.scm seems
> already strange to me, since this file is used in order to boot guile.

Sorry, my fault. In fact it is installed on my machine, it is part
of the libguile9 package.

> Also, guile-config is automatically installed when you compile guile,
> as far as I know...

Maybe yes if you compile guile, but not necessarily if you just
install the guile runtime system. The machine on which texmacs is
to be installed is not necessarily the machine on which texmacs was
compiled.

For instance, debian splits guile into user packages and
developer packages. The former is sufficient to run an application
using libguile (like texmacs), while guile-config is only
available in the developer package:

% apt-cache search guile1.4
guile1.4 - The GNU extension language and Scheme interpreter.
guile1.4-doc - Reference and tutorial documentation for guile 1.4.
guile1.4-slib - SLIB support for guile1.4 and libguile9.
libguile-dev - Development headers and static library for libguile.
libguile9 - libraries for Guile1.4 (guile, guilereadline, and qthreads).
% dpkg -S /usr/bin/guile-config
libguile-dev: /usr/bin/guile-config

I think redhat does omething similar. In case of a packaging system
like rpm or debian this is more conveniently handled by putting the
right dependency in the package. How the availability of guile
is best tested from a vanilla binary I don't know.

-Ralf.