Re: [Texmacs-dev] Re: Generating fonts

From: David Allouche
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Re: Generating fonts
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 21:08:53 +0200

On Wed, Jul 24, 2002 at 07:15:25PM +0200, Joris van der Hoeven wrote:

> On Wed, 24 Jul 2002, David Allouche wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Jul 24, 2002 at 02:32:07PM +0000, Juan Pablo Romero wrote:
> > >
> > > There exists some way to deactivate the yellow window that texmacs shows
> > > when generating some font, or at least force the window to remain in its
> > > own workspace?
> >
> > Not currently, I will try to make a patch to create a new setting to
> > disable that pesky window.
>
> OK, but the message should be displayed in the status bar in that case,
> because it should be displayed somewhere...

In the current state of the user interface, that seems not very
practical. While the fonts are generated, all other activity on
texmacs is suspended.

Of course font generation (and web page fetching and file loading,
etc.) should not suspend the main event loop. That would allow the
main window to be redrawn, and make the status bar (and maybe some
more prominent part of the window) useful for displaying that kind of
message. But that is much more difficult than just disabling the font
generation window.

That window was needed because new users did not understand what
was going on while METAFONT was running and though texmacs was stuck
in an internal loop. But for experienced users, it is a major
annoyance. Allowing the user to disable the display of that dialog is
simple to do and is good for beginners and experienced users as well.

--

                             -- David --