Re: [Texmacs-dev] TeXmacs-1.0.0.10 / Cygwin: Works!

From: Joris van der Hoeven
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] TeXmacs-1.0.0.10 / Cygwin: Works!
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 10:38:40 +0200 (MET DST)

> The subject line says it all: despite the transition to the nogencc system,
> everything compiles, installs and runs out of the box (well, except that we
> still need to compile everything statically). Congrats to Joris and David!

Thanks, but you should really congratulate David, who spend at least
ten times as much time on this as me (even though I am probably partly
responsable for the fact that everything works straightaway ;^)

> My only comment is that the startup time seems a little slower than it used
> to be. Once the program starts, it is quite responsive.

Hmm, this is strange, since we did a lot of benchmarking.
Is the startup time really much slower or just 20% slower?

> A final [unrelated] note on "marketing": the real killer application of
> TeXmacs is preparing slides for presentations. Powerpoint and similar
> solutions are really not designed for math-intensive material. OTOH,
> LaTeX-based solutions are not sufficiently WYSIWYG (although, for slides at
> least, something like Whizzytex helps a lot). TeXmacs has the best of both
> worlds.

Do you mean slides for presentation using an overhead projector,
or directly from the laptop. The first thing is already possible
since a long time. We have started working on the second thing,
but we have some problems with X in order to let the window
take the size of the whole screen in a safe way.